Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thoughts from the road

Playing on a laptop can be a little annoying after getting used to 2 monitors. Plus, I really miss being able to full stack NL 100 and SS NL 200 at the same time, made things much more exciting. Despite that, I've done pretty well for the most part just SS'ing 4-6 tables on the laptop; yesterday was the exception though...horrendous calls and a lot of unluck, and to make things even better, I tilted a little bit chasing my losses. Never a good idea of course, but I HATE ending a session down. Wouldn't have been such a big deal if I didn't have an appointment later that night; if not, I think I could have kept a level head and played as long as I needed to. As it was, the best thing was for me to stop playing ASAP. So I finally acknowledged this and had some dinner, did some work, planning on revisiting the tables later. That part worked out well; I calmed down and felt like I was ready to play well again. Unfortunately, my internet connection at the hotel was crap; it gets like that at this one particular Hilton when it's busy, and when I've called support in the past, they're no help, so I just hit the sack.

Today has been so-so; have had to work on business and work, so can't focus 100% on poker, but I can play in the background and do ok. For shits and giggles, I ponied up 1/12th of my bankroll on Poker Stars and entered their $0.25 tournament (yes, that decimal place is correct). The idea was to get some large field practice on the cheap, and it's worked ok so far; about 4k players turned out and I'm currently hovering at 45th out of about 250....obviously not even comparable to the play I'd expect from a tournament with a respectable buyin, but if nothing else it's a confidence booster (although it's difficult caring about the outcome, as even FT'ing is worth as little as $12....needless to say, I'd like to FT it, but more to say I did than to increase my bankroll by .0012%). Oh well, I'll still take $12 I guess, everything helps when you're $250k in debt, lol.

Update: got down in chips and had to start shoving, ran A9s into JJ....flop is an A, turn is an A, river is a J! 116th and a little over a buck for me, yeehaw!

No comments: